Welcome!

A place for all music related shenanigans!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Can I get some Amazeballs with a side of Awesomesauce please?

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum! This post has been kicking my ass until now. Sobriety decided to bring along a little friend called writers block and the gears in my brain were not turning. But if you give this lightweight 1 strong Rum 'n' Coke she's singing sailor songs around the house, mimicking her dog, and ready to blog her ass off. Oh the ramblings of a drunken pirate! I heard one time to write when you're drunk and edit when you're sober....well intoxicated or not this post will be published and in the end I hope you are entertained and learned about some awesome people and the music they make. 

If you didn't make it Saturday then you missed a really sweet show! Everyone was amazing and brought something new to the table. Unlike that last Lakeshore Lanes show that I reviewed there was no drama and nothing but good vibes and awesome music flowing about. I was really happy to see the crowd so involved in the performances this time. 
Here's the run down!

DeadMics- Rap really isn't my thing and I only listen to it on rare occasions. I don't hate it and I don't love it, I'm just kind of indifferent to it. I do respect people that do it well though because I can hardly speak at a normal speed without stumbling over my words let alone do it quickly and stay on time. We've all seen and heard plenty of shitty wannabe "white boy rappers" but this guy is definitely not in that category. I heard that he was good from a few people before I went to the show so I was curious to see what was up. Honestly you would never expect that this guy can flow like he does. He's not flashy and gives a "no frills" performance. That's nowhere near a bad thing either (in case someone wants to misunderstand or turn my words around). I think it's awesome when someone can just get up there and let what they do speak for itself. He started off by saying "Uh, I don't do introductions....I just rap...bad ass". And he did just that. This isn't cliche "fuck bitches, get money" kinda rap. There is definitely meaning in the words and I think people can really relate to what he's saying. In the end this guy is just beat after beat of lyrical meat! <<< Yeah I'll leave the rapping to this guy and stick to song writing and my keyboard, but hey I tried.
Check him out here!
http://deadmics.bandcamp.com/
http://lakeeffectmusicgroup.bandcamp.com/

Source



Apophis- Ahhh! I've got a hardcore music crush on these guys. I love going to shows and finding new bands to fall in love with. I listened to these guys on facebook when I was doing pre-show research and found myself crossing my fingers and hoping that these guys could keep their shit together through a live show. I've seen more than my fair share of hardcore and progressive metal bands that are overly confident and when it comes to playing live timing goes out the window and it ends up sounding like they are banging on metal trash cans with horrible screeching feedback. These guys put those metal wannabes to shame! The recordings that I listened to did not prepare me for the awesomeness that was about to slap me in the face. These guys know what they are doing and are one of those bands that just sound better live. That quality is hard to come by in the mainstream music world let alone in the local music realm. I highly recommend that all my fellow metal heads check these guys out and if you get the chance to see them live DO IT! The drums, the guitar solos, the vocals, everything about it is on point and drool worthy!
Linkity linkity link that shit!
http://www.facebook.com/ApophisMetal?fref=ts
http://www.reverbnation.com/apophisismetal


Source


Deadlite Redemption- These guys are definitely loved around here. They put on a great performance and hyped up the crowd like crazy. I would classify them as a hard rock band but you can also tell that there are some metal influences to their music and I love that shit. I've know of them for a while but haven't had the opportunity to see them until now and I'm so happy I did. Their music urges you to head bang your heart out and I know I'm not the only one that feels that way. After smoking a cigarette while they were setting up I came back in to see all their eager fans creating a barrier around the set and they weren't even playing yet. I had to squeeze my way to the center to get a better look and when they started to play it was as if there was an unspoken command that told everyone "Let the hair whipping commence!" and that was exactly what happened. You can't help but to thrash around a little bit when you hear them. Apophis and Deadlite Redemption are definitely music to mosh to. We tried to get something going during both of their sets and I think it would have happened but the place was packed and there wasn't enough space to circle out. I love jumpin in the pit as much as the next person but it probably wasn't the best idea to help encourage one with a new septum piercing haha ouch! But oh well it was still fun after I found out it wasn't bleeding. My only regret is that I didn't get a t-shirt from them or Apophis.
Link, Like, Listen
 www.facebook.com/DeadliteRedemption
http://www.deadliteredemption.com/fr_home.cfm
http://www.reverbnation.com/deadliteredemption
https://twitter.com/deadlite219
http://www.myspace.com/deadliteredemption
http://www.youtube.com/deadliteredemption



Source


Walking Alone- If you are looking for something a little different you should really check out this trio. They are a purely instrumental band and were a perfect close to the show. They mix peaceful ambient noise perfectly with high energy rock inspired riffs. Just when you start to get into this really cool experimental sound they are doing they blast you in the face with something harder. They have a different kind of sound that I haven't heard around here before and their performance just seemed really raw to me. There isn't a front man so your attention is just all on the music. When you see them perform you can tell they are really feeling and letting the music flow through them rather then just playing it. They play as one continuous set, there are no pauses or breaks between songs which is kind of cool because you can't completely tell where something ends and something new begins. I couldn't really see but I think at one point Sam, the bassist, used feedback and a beer bottle to get a really cool sound. I love when people get creative like that and think outside of the box. Sam was the reason I was at this show. He invited me to come see his band and I'm sooo glad that I did because they were awesome!  I love these guys and I think you will too, they are worth seeing if you get the chance!
Check 'em out!
http://www.facebook.com/Walking.Alone.1
http://www.youtube.com/user/WalkingAloneOfficial?feature=watch


So that's what you missed out on if you didn't/couldn't go. I strongly urge you all to support your local music scene! There is more talent right in your home town then you realize. If you really can't stand the direction that "mainstream music" has gone then help to change it by taking all this local talent to the top! Local shows are cheap and right where you live, it's not that much of a hassle to get out and go to one. It's a great way to discover new music and to make awesome friends.

I hope to see you at the next show! I give updates on where I'll be on my Facebook page so go like that shit if you want to be updated. I know some of the people that read my blog but I haven't had a chance to meet even half of you so if you see me at a show just be like "hey, I've read some of the random shit you wrote" and we can be friends haha.
Exposed In E Minor facebook page

Again, just get yourself to a show, give a local some support, and lets rock the fuck out together!














No comments:

Post a Comment